Sunday, August 24, 2008

Verse and Voice

Benedict perceives God as present immediately and actively within the ordinary materials and interactions of each day. Every encounter, every incident during the day is grist for the mill of the ongoing God-human communication. No activity is too small or too unimportant to mediate the holy. Living one's faith this way results in a much deepened attentiveness to each moment, for we learn that the specific ordinariness of a thing or a person also reveals a more "dense" reality, that is, its glory. Benedict's Rule always celebrates the simple daily interactions of one person with another, and of human hand with pot and pan, all as potentially carrying a wonderful message (Norvene Vest, No Moment Too Small, p. 19).

_____________________________

I appeal to you therefore, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present yourselves as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this worl, but be transformed by the reewing of your minds, so that you may discern what is the will of God -- what is good and acceptable and perfect (Romans 12:1-2).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A word of appreciation to you Dan for helping us get this blog started. I have been gone so I am attempting to respond. My first attempt failed and so I may need some direction on which boxes to complete. The Verse and Voice for Sunday the 24is very meaningful for me. Knowing of God's presence in all the many things I do in a day brings me peace of heart and an openness and love for all those with whom I come in contact. Blessings! Sister Phyllis

Jim Goodman said...

Very fitting - This is a truth that has brought me great joy and peace over the past year. I am asked why I do dishes by hand when I have a dishwasher. I explain the time of contemplation of many spiritual truths revealed in 'human hand with pot and pan'

Many Blessings - thanks for the blog!
Jim